Body + Soul: Legends Of Soul Live
The Memphis Stax/Volt sound, Motown, Southern-fried funk. Crooners and shouters, sophisticated soul men and ladies. It's all here in Legends Of Soul Live. Drawn from the classic America's Music series, which featured more than 100 top artists, these live concerts were taped between 1983 and 1984 on a soundtage at A&M Records in Hollywood. This release marks the first time that these incredible shows have been available on DVD.
Legends Of Soul Live collects the top performances from America's Music Soul and Rhythm & Blues programs. "The World's Oldest Teenager" Rufus Thomas gets the party started dance instructor-style with Walking The Dog. The Pips also display some pretty slick steps backing Gladys Knight in their No. 1 hit Neither One of Us (Wants to Be the First to Say Goodbye). But no one can top "the Godfather" James Brown. His fancy footwork and the ferocious funk of Rapp Payback threaten to melt down the stage.
Want something a little less intense? Look no further than Hey, Western Union by "the Iceman" Jerry Butler. Actor Leon Isaac Kennedy does the intro honors for Butler and Brown. Ben E. King plays cool himself with Spanish Harlem. In addition, he shares an interesting story about Phil Spector and the recording of this soul classic, King's first solo hit back in 1961.
Speaking of stories, this DVD includes bonus one-on-one interviews with King, Jerry Butler and Gladys Knight that offer a behind-the-scenes look at the music business. With more than 100 years of combined experience in the entertainment world, these artists have seen it all, and tell it like it was.
- Walking The Dog - Rufus Thomas
- Soul Man - Sam Moore
- Hey, Western Union Man - Jerry Butler
- Neither One Of Us (Wants To Be The First To Say Goodbye) - Gladys Knight & The Pips
- Spanish Harlem - Ben E. King
- Rapp Payback - James Brown
- Turn Back The Hands Of Time - Tyrone Davis
- Band Of Gold - Freda Payne
- Will It Go Round In Circles - Billy Preston
- Rainy Night In Georgia - Brook Benton
- I Heard It Through The Grapevine - Gladys Knight & The Pips with Rufus Thomas, Carla Thomas, Jerry Butler, Freda Payne, Percy Sledge