VDL Research House: Richard Neutra's Studio And Residence - 2 Disc Special Edition
The VDL Research House was designed by architect Richard J. Neutra in 1932 and served as his studio and residence for the rest of his career. Uniquely among his projects, it represented the three major phases of his aesthetic development. It exemplified his early works, which featured compact volumes in white or silver, with thin surfaces and bands of windows. The Garden house built behind the VDL house in 1939 shows an emphasis on indoor/outdoor living, with its large windows and deep overhangs, typical of his work in the late 1930s and early 1940s. The original house was destroyed by fire in 1963 and rebuilt in 1966. Neutra's post-war work reflected his interest in environmental design, seen in the VDL House II with its use of site and climate responsive features.